Tuesday 12 February 2013

You need to tow the line buddy



We live in an apartment complex with a shared driveway.  Unfortunately I got myself on the committee which involves boring meetings and making the rules for the use of the facilities.  Because the driveway has pretty tight access to the unit garages, the committee decided the driveway should be a no parking, towaway area.  Everyone was informed of the rules and we waited to see if the driveway would remain clear of cars.  Well, it didn’t (surprise, surprise) and then came my least favourite part of being on the committee – enforcing the law. 


After I called the towing company, I listened anxiously as the tow truck driver was sworn at by the angry tenants whose car was being hooked up to his truck *shudder*.  I guess that kind of response to their actions is why towies get paid the big bucks.

The tenants knew they couldn’t park in the driveway because they had been sent letters, their landlord had told them and there were posters nailed to the fences on the driveway, yet they did it anyway.  What they deserved for breaking the rules was to have their car towed away.  But dishing out justice felt bad; I didn’t want to call the tow truck, I dreaded waiting for him to arrive, and I hated listening to the tenant’s anger.

It made me think of the verses which tell us God does not enjoy giving sinners justice. That day I could imagine in a very, very small way how God feels about giving out justice.  While sin angers Him (plenty of verses about that), it also grieves Him to dish out the necessary justice against His creatures (us) whom He loves.  His love for us is why He has a rescue plan to save us from His justice.  I wasn’t about to pay the release fee for that tenants car, but in a way that’s what God did for me.  I deserve His just punishment (hell) for my rebellion against His rules but He paid my release fee with His life and also gave me eternal life with Him.  And He did it for you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment