Wednesday 29 August 2012

Beauty and the Geek


http://www.beautytipsntricks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Birds-Nail-Art-Designs-2012-146.jpeg
I refuse to go to beauty salons anymore; I’ve been burned.  Well, not literally.  One time I was given a whole bunch of gift vouchers for a beauty salon and I thought “Wow!  A chance to spoil myself and relax” Boy, was I wrong.  I went in expecting a manicure and some nail colour but also came away with a side helping of guilt.  I’m sure beauty technicians are very well meaning when they try to help by telling you your skin is all dried out and not to use *insert whatever product you are currently using* because it doesn’t work, what you should really do is blah, blah, blah…  “Hey!  Listen lady; I came in here to be spoiled rotten, not lectured!”    
   
http://img.webmd.com/dtmcms/live/webmd/consumer_assets/site_images/articles/health_tools/top_tips_for_beautiful_teeth_crest_slideshow/getty_rm_photo_of_woman_wearing_headphones_at_dentist.jpg
Wow, I can really relate to this woman.  This is exactly how I feel at the dentist.
It’s the same with the dentist although I do expect a lecture from them.  But notice how you never come out of the dentist with a “congratulations, no filling today” it’s just all “you aren’t flossing enough”, “you brush twice a day?  Well don’t do it so hard, you’ll give yourself receding gums”? 

It seems no matter how hard you try, you will never meet the dentist’s or beauty therapist’s standards (“laws” you might say).  Why don’t I like going to these places?  Because I know they are going to tell me how far I've fallen short of their standards, so when I come out I feel guilty.  That’s the effect the law has on us.  Why don’t we like reading the parts of the Bible which tell us how we should be behaving?  Because even though the law is good, it makes us feel guilty because we know we haven't kept it.  Thank God that His Word to us (the Bible) contains not just the standard for how to behave; but primarily shows us the way to be forgiven.  Beauty therapists and dentists have no good news for us, but the Bible does - Jesus died for lawbreakers.

No comments:

Post a Comment