Sunday 6 November 2011

In someone elses shoes: An interview with a uni student....

Today we are interviewing a 21year old Christian woman and university student. She is currently studying a double major in psychology and sociology.







Whats your favourite color? Turquoise blue- it reminds me of the sea and swimming- I love water!

Whats your favourite movie?  Its so hard to pick! I like movies that are both funny and comedic.. like ‘The proposal’ or ‘Just go with it’.

What made you choose to study psychology and sociology?  I originally wanted to do criminology, and sociology is a pre-requisite for this. I ended up really enjoying sociology so have stuck with it. I also study psychology as I find it interesting and would like to use it to help people.
Where do you think your degree will take you? I’m not really sure. I’m leaning towards becoming a teacher as I really would like to work with youth/children.

Can you tell me a bit about how you became a Christian? I was brought up in a Christian home so always had a good base of knowledge about the Christian faith. Although my parents had taught me that I am a sinner, and that Christ died for me, I felt like I didn’t really understand this fully until a few years ago.  Before becoming a Christian, I felt like being a Christian meant following a set of rules like being nice to everyone and not being allowed to party like my friends- and that felt restricting to me at the time! I believed in God and knew that I was a sinner (did bad stuff), but I was ok with that.  Until a series of events led me to fully understand the gospel and what Christ did for me. There was a period of rebellion a few years ago where I drank regularly, and often excessively. I continued to tell myself that I was a Christian but didn’t really connect that with my drinking. I had just started attending university at this time, and I joined a Christian group there. They had a conference where a sermon was preached about lying to yourself. I realised that I was lying to myself about being a Christian because I didn’t really understand why Christ died for me. When I asked a friend ‘how long do you think I have been a Christian?’- she replied ‘I didn’t even think you were one’.

It was around this time that a friend who I had been drinking with regularly was found to be an alcoholic.  I saw through my friend the consequences of continuing to live my life on the current path of sinfulness and rebellion. I began to understand the gospel properly. That God sent His son (Jesus), to earth to take the punishment for all the sinful things I have done in my life. I learned that even though I deserve to go to hell for all the rebellious and sinful things I have done, God will accept me into heaven because Jesus took the punishment for me. I came to fully understand that it is not the things that I do that makes God accept me into heaven, but only what Christ has done. I finally felt free! I prayed to God and asked him to help me to commit my life to Him.

What do you think/feel about what Christ has done for you?

Grateful. Amazed that Christ would die for someone like me. I’m so happy and grateful that I get to go to heaven. Before I understood the gospel I felt like the Christian life was so restricting. There are all these laws and things you have to do to be a ‘good christian’. When I fully understood the gospel, I realised that because Jesus has already taken the punishment for all the sins I have ever done and will ever do, Gods acceptance of me isn’t based on wether or not I’m a ‘good christian’. He accepts me based on what Christ has already done. I don’t have to be perfect!  This is so much more freeing than what I used to think the Christian life was all about. Now I feel motivated to do things that bring glory to God because I am so grateful to Him for what He has done for me.


What are the biggest challenges you face as Christian attending university?

The secular nature of university can sometimes be difficult. Everyone is after worldly things but to me it doesn’t matter as much. Everyone seems to be really focused on themselves, but as a Christian my focus is on God. It can be hard not to be swept up by the pressure to be more focused on myself and my possessions etc.  I find having the support of other Christians that attend uni is really important to me to help me overcome this challenge.

Can you recommend a favourite book?

Counterfeit Gods, by Tim Keller is one of my favourites (he is also my favourite preacher.... ever!). I LOVE  The cross-centred life by CJ Mahaney- a must read! 

No comments:

Post a Comment